Just a short, quick post. I'll be leaving for Africa this month! Plans are coming together nicely and I'm getting really excited for it. I was having a discussion recently with another girl (Sarah) who is going on the trip. She said something that really struck a chord with me and I've been thinking about a lot lately. First she said "I know the trip is a few weeks away still, but already I feel as though I have so much to tell about my trip to Ethiopia." The funny thing is, I feel the same way. I haven't even left yet already I feel like I have stories to share about how God is using this experience.
Later, the whole team was on a conference call and we were discussing a book we are all reading together in preparation for our departure called "Mack and Leanne's Guide to Short Term Missions." We were talking about praying for our trip and how we expect God to show up in our work and ministries while we are in Africa. And typically, mission trips do result in life-changing experiences because we experience God so intensely. But the thing is, typically we pray pretty boldly for mission trips. I know for this particular trip I've been praying a lot!! So the thing is, why don't I pray with that same boldness about the missions I'm involved with here...right here in my community? Why don't I pray boldly about the children I work with at the rescue mission? Why don't I pray boldly for my small group? Why don't I pray boldly for my colleagues? Why don't I pray boldly for my family? Why don't I pray boldly for my friends? Why don't I pray boldly for my roommate? Why don't I pray boldly for my city? Maybe if I were in constant, never-ceasing prayer for the every day things of my seemingly ordinary life I would experience God in a powerful way right here. Maybe I need to be praying that he would awaken my heart to the work he is doing around me. Every. Single. Day.
I believe in the necessity of international missions. Obviously, I do--I couldn't be more anxious and excited to go to Africa. But at the same time, my eyes are being opened to the reality that God is calling us to be bold in our faith here. That God is calling us to be missionaries here. That God's work needs done here.
So I'm challenging myself (and you!) to pray boldly. Pray boldly that your heart will be awakened and you will experience God in your ordinary, everyday life. Pray that His love and His Truth would be evident through your actions to the people you come in contact every day. Pray that you would see the needs of the people immediately around you and that you would rise up to meet those needs with love and compassion. Pray that God would come and fill you with hope for this nation and all nations.
Pray Boldly.
And have faith that He hears.
1 comment:
what a great point. seriously I don't think I've thought of that and it's so true. thank you for that reminder.
Post a Comment