Saturday, July 24, 2010

Breast Ironing of Young Girls in Cameroon

It doesn't matter how much I read or witness about the conditions in Africa, I'm always startled anew when I read yet another article or watch yet another video of injustice. This time it's in Cameroon in West Africa. There, one out of four girls experiences breast ironing because their parents believe that it'll prevent them from being sexually desirable and therefore prevent their teenage daughter from getting pregnant. As the video explains, teenage pregnancy is a major issue in Cameroon and the government there is failing to recognize that as well as breast ironing that is being done. What's needed is sexual education classes as well as punishment for the men who are taking advantage of unwilling teenage girls for their own sexual pleasure. But instead, these girls suffer because the root of the problem is failing to be identified and treated.

Watch the video...but I also warn you that there is nudity involved.

No comments: