Okay friends (and all of you unidentified readers). It's time to give me your opinion. Here's the topic: tithing.
I've become more and more convicted lately that tithing should not only be 10% of your income, but 10% of your Gross income. Yeah, Gross Income. I know that seems like a lot of money sometimes, but here's my reasoning. It's all God's money. Not just 10% of it, but 100% of it. Ultimately, he could decide to take it away whenever he wishes. We are just stewards or managers of his money. So, I think we should look at it as God giving us 90% of his money rather than us giving God 10% of his money. Besides, when it comes down to it, I think that we're all pretty careless in our spending. Sure, there are situations when people have trouble making ends meet and giving 10% of take home pay, let alone Gross pay, seems impossible. But I think that's when we need to fully submit to Christ and trust that He will provide for our every need.
Anyways, I'd like to hear what you all have to say. Even if it's disagreeing with me. I think it's utterly important to constantly be dialoguing about these sort of topics as we, as Christians, walk in faith. We often avoid the controversial topics because we don't want to offend others, but really, talking about them is the only way to continue to grow and learn. So tell me your thoughts. Do you thinking tithing is 10% of your take home pay? 10% of your Gross income? Or just what you "think" you can give? (I put this in quotes because honestly we can always give more than we really think we can).
I expect responses, ya'll.... :)
3 comments:
Instead of telling you what I think (and this has been a heart change as of late...and a personal conviction from the Lord), I'm going to give you some verses that have been instrumental in my understanding of what God asked of ME:
Deut 14:22
Deut 26:2, 9-10
Malachi 3
Proverbs 3:9 (NKJV is good)
1 Cor 16:2
2 Cor 9:6-7
This is such an important concept. Thanks for being willing to learn and seek God. I appreciate your heart, as always. Love you, friend!
Luke 20:25 "Then give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."
While I believe striving to tithe 10% is ideal, I think you can argue that 10% gross is appropriate due to the before mentioned quote. Just my 2 cents.
However, tithing is not just monetary. Tithing is also giving of your time and helping others as well as serving God.
Post a Comment