Saturday, October 3, 2009

My question today...

I was reading on a church website today that the church was growing and adding a fourth service. At first thought, it sounded impressive. Wow, 4 services. That church must be doing good things for it to be growing like that. But then it got me thinking. Just because a church is growing, does that mean it is a "good" church. What I mean by "good"--Is the church honestly teaching Truth? Is the church teaching the redemptive story of Christ? Is the church teaching the entirety of the Gospel?

I'll preface this next part with saying that I think I'm often a skeptic when it comes to issues of the church. In any case, I get concerned when I see a church growing so fast and then peek into what the church is teaching and it's just self-help messages. Our society thrives on ways to make us feel better here on earth. So of course, you can pick and choose verses from the Bible that can sound like tips for better living and improved happiness for here on Earth. But paraphrasing Tim Keller, Christian Hope isn't about our happiness here on Earth, but about our ultimate, eternal state. While I'm not suggesting that we should be unhappy and miserable as Christians here on Earth, I do think we need to evaluate the types of messages churches are preaching. We can't pick and choose what makes us feel good, but rather, we have to accept the Bible in its entirety. Being made aware of our sinful nature, being called to live needing and wanting less, giving all that we have (our money, our time, our talents) to Christ (it is His to begin with, after all)--all these things and more can be hard. At times we can feel out of place and unwelcomed in society when we live according to the call of Christ.

Now if I see a church teaching the entirety of the Bible and it's growing in leaps and bounds--now that's something to stand in awe of!

Just something I was contemplating today...

Thoughts?

No comments: