Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Bittersweet

Tonight was a bittersweet night. I joined my small group at City Church nearly a year ago. About a month ago, we were told that our group is getting too large and needed to split. About 4 people split off then, but because of timing and location, we were still left with a rather large group. Tonight was our last meeting before our group split again--this time in half.

Quick background:
City Church is a PCA (Presbyterian Church in America) Church Plant in Orlando, Florida. The church is not a church with small groups, but a church made of small groups (City Groups). Nearly every person that attends City Church is connected to a Small group. Small groups meet around the city throughout the week to "multiply the gospel movement". My definition--we form a community that allows us to dig deeper into God's word and learn how to apply it to our lives. But we also spend time doing mission work together, praying together, and enjoying fellowship together. It's a great way for people new to the church (as I once was) to quickly and easily meet others and be immersed in a true gospel community. With that being said, the groups are expected to grow and then split and continue this pattern of multipication all over the city.


Continuing on:
When I first joined this small group almost a year ago the 20-some (yes, we are/were a large "small" group) were all very much strangers to me. I was nervous walking up to the Seneff's house and had no idea who was going to be there, but quickly these people have become like family to me. I think it would be fair to say that I have truly experienced authentic community with these people. I've shared joys and trials with all of them and in turn have learned their stories and begun to walk with them through life. It's become a staple in my weekly routine to show up at the Seneff's and be received with hugs and warm conversation and then spend an hour sitting among some of the most intelligent people I know pulling apart scripture and disecting what it is that God is trying to tell us. I've been able to ask questions that I've been longing to ask and my mind has been sparked into deep conversation by others as they battle through what it means to be a believer, follower, and child of Christ.

Tonight was bitter because I'll no longer be able to see some of these people on a regular basis. But at the same time, it's also very sweet. It's sweet because I know that ultimately we are growing the kingdom of God. We are dividing so that we can make room for more. We are welcoming the opportunity to bring others into our group, make them feel at home, and begin to walk beside them as they continue their journey in faith. I'm so excited to see the work that God is doing at City Church. I'm excited to get to know more believers and to see God redeem this city.

My prayer for this evening:

Thank you Lord for all of the amazing people at City Church who have opened their homes and their lives to me and helped me to experience love in The City Beautiful--they really have made this city more beautiful to me. And thank you for those who I will continue to journey with and continue to seek your Truth with. Please help us to surrender it all to you so that you may use our church, our small groups, and the people of City Church in a way that glorifies you and furthers your kingdom. I pray that we would be welcoming with arms wide open to those who are seeking You. Amen.

No comments: