Thursday, November 6, 2008

What I have decided.

So, I'll be completely, 100% honest. Because it's my blog. I'm allowed to do that. My vote yesterday went to McCain/Palin. Yep, I'm 23 years old and I did not vote for Obama/Biden. Shocker, huh? Maybe I should add in a few more things. I grew up in a rural area, attended church at least twice a week my entire life and now living independently from my parents I've become even more involved in my church and developed even more Conservative values. I've never partied until I passed out, never done drugs, never smoked a cigarette. But my parents never told me not to do any of those things either. These were decisions I made all on my own because I believe in undeniable Biblical truths. (We can discuss these further at a later time, if you'd like). So basically, I'm your traditional Conservative Christian Voter--except I'm not 65 and older (haha...and I got jokes!).

Anyways, I'll admit. Neither candidate was a great selection for me. Do I wish that the McCain/Palin ticket was more concerned with environmental issues? Yes, definitely. That's an issue that's close to my heart. And there are others. But what are the issues that I couldn't waiver on? I'll tell you (it is my blog after all). Abortion. The Bible tells us that we have to speak for those who can't. If we believe in the sanctity of life then we need to stand up for those unborn infants that God created and loves. Sanctity of Marriage. Yes, I know this is EXTREMELY controversial. And I totally get why. No, I don't want to alienate the Gay community. And yes, I completely believe that it's not 100% a personal decision...chemical balances have something to do with it (I'm a psychology minor...I've researched these things), but I still believe that the Bible clearly speaks to marriage being a privilage between a man and a woman. I believe acting upon these feelings is a sin just like acting upon feelings of lust is a sin. Just because we have certain desires and urges (whether they are personal decisions or chemical balances is irrelevant) does not mean that they are good decisions. Taxes. Here's the conclusion I've settled on. I understand that Obama may have good intentions on wanting to Tax the wealthy to help the poor. But that's just it, it's not the government's job to take care of the people. It's the job of the Church. It's something we should do on our own--take care of our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I give my 10% to my church and my money to support friends doing mission work and to other mission organizations that I'm passionate about (want to talk about Clean Water Initiatives? Let's grab some fairly traded coffee and talk! And I'll tell you about the Mocha Club). But if the government is going to tax all of my money, how will I support those things that matter to me? Let me, as an individual citizen who has worked hard for her money, choose the organizations and people I'm going to give my money too. I'm not saying in any way, shape, or form that I'm keeping the money for my own greed and selfish gain. Not at all. Just the opposite. I want to give it away...but at my discretion. I mean, I'm SURE there are issues I'm missing. SURE of it. But I made my decision based on the issues that were close to my heart. And as a Christian, the word of Christ influences every single decision I make--including how I vote. So that's the reason I voted the way I voted. (incase you were curious).

Now here's what I've ultimately decided. No, Obama was not my ideal choice for president. But, I believe that all authority is chosen by God and that God makes all things good. So, I give him my complete trust and faith that this is for His good and perfect will. And as an American (who is still proud to be an American), I will support the president-elect the best that I can. I refuse to speak poorly of him. I pray that he will seek wisdom and guidance. I pray that he will take into consideration the common good. I pray that he really is capable of changing the economy and this nation around.

So I encourage you all--no matter what your political affiliation--to pray for our nation and our leaders. Pray for the safety of all citizens and for relations with foreign nations. Leave it in our Heavenly Father's hands.

And if you want to discuss anything I've written, I'D LOVE TO!!! :)

No comments: