Monday, February 23, 2009

Honesty & Patience

Monday work days are redeemed for me by the fact that that I get to go to spend a couple hours Monday evening with my small group. Occasionally we do a study called Person of Jesus where we examine exactly that...who the Person of Jesus is. What his characteristics are and how we can become more like him. Our discussion tonight was a continuation of a previous study. We examined Honesty and even more so, honesty through patience. We referenced some passages in the New Testament where Peter speaks and acts without thinking and therefore says and does some pretty ridiculous things. But when you examine all of Peter's actions throughout the NT, you find that Jesus only calls him out on things that really matter--things that are really significant. We then looked at a passage in Matthew where Jesus confronts the Pharisees for their hypocritical actions. He calls them out telling them that people should follow what they say, but not what they do because there is not heart in their actions.

As we started to talk through it more we came to a conclusion that calling people out and being honest all the time maybe isn't the best thing (previously when examining honesty we found how being brutally and painfully honest can be good to help someone grow and mature). We need to trust in Christ to convict us of the times when we need to address a situation and when we need to let a situation slide by us. Jesus called Peter out when it was important, when he knew that it would mold Peter and bring him closer to God, but there were many times when Jesus let Peter's rash actions slide right by because ultimately they were pretty irrelevant. With the Pharisees, Jesus knew it was important to call them out on their actions to give them the chance to repent and turn their hearts towards God.

I think about this in my own life. How many times have I confronted people and thought that I was doing the right thing because I was "holding them accountable"? I'm certain there are times when honesty is important, but I'm also certain there are times when I need to trust in Christ to help me be patient in the situation.

I'm so thankful for all the people in my small group and the continual prayers and support they provide. I'm truly experience Christian community and I feel blessed.

No comments: