So here I sit pondering whether I should buy an iPhone while at the same time wishing I could quit my job and just do worldwide missions. Well hmm. That presents a problem, doesn't it? My heart is calling me to go and serve while the earthly side of me is desiring every trinket and gadget available. I'm facing a dilemma that has surely plagued believers for some time. How to live on less so we can live more fully. I think it comes down to this idea of wanting to be accepted and wanting others approval. If I have a new iphone, trendy clothes, a big nice home, new running shoes, a new camera, a blue ray player, a new bike, fancy furniture, the latest kitchen appliance, new dress shoes, concert tickets, movie tickets, downloaded songs, etc, etc, etc, I'll fit in, right? People will have to like me, right? But when does this mass consumption end? With each pay raise I say I'll give more. I'll support missions and charities. I'll give beyond my tithe. I'll even save some! But with each pay raise I feel entitiled to a higher standard of living.
But really?
What's the point?
Is my iPhone, my new clothes, my concert ticket worth more than...
...clean water in Africa?
...homes for the homeless?
...a chance for an education for all children?
...food for the hungry?
...supporting ministries?
...the Gospel reaching ALL of God's children?
It's a battle I'm constantly fighting in my heart. How do I fight the constant desire to conform to this world and instead allow my heart to be molded by my Savior?
Is this something you struggle with? What are your thoughts?
1 comment:
I think the struggle is more important with the answer. I'm not sure there is a definite answer, but at the moment you stop struggling with that issue . . . that's when you need to be worried.
Post a Comment