Sunday, August 24, 2008

Because it's already been done

Lots of things running through my mind in recent days.  So much has been going on in so many areas of my life and sometimes it's hard to just slow down and take it all into perspective.  A lot of things at church tonight really struck a chord with me.  Two things in particular.  It's easy to give praise to God when things are going peachy, but what about praising him through the storms?  Do I find joy in the midst of difficult circumstances?  Do I give thanks for trials and lean on Him during those times?  Sure, I can be a fun, pleasant person to be around when things are on the up and up, but how about when I'm struggling?  Do my actions reflect that of a girl who fully believes that her God is in control and carrying her?  I'll admit...not always....probably not even often.

In my devotional today it talked about "Flowers That Grow in the Shade."  Like Paul, in the Bible, many times Christians thrive and grow the most in times of struggle and heartache.  It's through these times that are weaknesses and brokeness is brought to the surface and we are made whole.

Another thought that has been on my mind has been praying and believing that God has answered that prayer.  Tonight at church the pastor talked about constantly praying with Thanksgiving because God has already said he's going to make all things new.  He's already in control.  This isn't the first time I've thought about this.  I remember spending a weekend in Miami about a year ago with my friend Chelsea and she spoke into my life on this very topic.  She talked to me about praying for something and believing that God has answered that prayer.  Now don't get me wrong, I think it's necessary to constantly be in prayer, but I think sometimes I take the same thing to the Lord over and over again because I'm uncertain as to whether I prayed "good enough" the first time...really, I think it's just me trying to convince myself that God is going to answer the prayer.  

I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but me...but it makes sense to me...

Anyway...a few other random things the pastor said tonight at church that struck a chord with me...enjoy:

"You may be a rebel, but so am I and Christ died for rebels.  He's wild about you."

"Talk to God about people before you talk to people about God."

"The most powerful thing we own is the ability to speak.  Not only do we have the ability to speak God's love and grace into other's lives, but we also hold the ability to speak eroding words into the lives of others."

That's all I have for now.  Have a blessed week. :)

No comments: