Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Return of Fall Baking

I like to bake. But really, I like to bake the most between the months of September and January. So right now I am in my prime. I wanted to bake a birthday cake for some people in my church small group and so I asked my friend if she had any unique cake recipes. She sent me this recipe for Gingerbread cake and it seriously might be my new favorite cake recipe. A-MAZING. And sooooo simple.

The recipe is to make 12 cupcakes but since I wanted a double layered round cake, I had to double the recipe. I also ended up baking it for about 35 minutes, I believe. One major tip is to make sure your pans are floured well. My cakes stuck in my pans some and I had a bit of a disaster with that. Luckily, frosting covers up those flaws :) Finally, I didn't use the cream cheese frosting part of this recipe. It barely had any cream cheese in it and I had another recipe (I believe it's from a Southern Living magazine) that was much easier and way delicious, so I used that.

Anyway, ENJOY.



Gingerbread Cake Recipe from Allrecipes.com:

Ingredients

  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon Dutch process cocoa powder
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup hot milk

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter or line with paper liners a 12-cup muffin tin.
  2. Cream 5 tablespoons of the butter with the white sugar. Add the molasses and the egg and egg yolk.
  3. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt. Dissolve the baking soda in the hot milk. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in the hot milk mixture. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared tin.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes or until slightly springy to the touch. Allow to cool a few minutes in the pan and remove to a rack to cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe (From Southern Living magazine, I believe):

Mix at medium speed two 8-ounce packages of cream cheese (softened), a stick of butter (softened), and a 32 ounce bag of powdered sugar together. Stir in 2 tsp of vanilla.

If it's warm in your house, the frosting can get a little runny (for lack of a more appetizing word), so it may help to refrigerate it for a short amount of time. Especially if you're going to do any type of piping.

I'm exciting to make this recipe again. Definitely a new favorite!!!

No comments: