Thursday, June 18, 2009

Conversations with my new friend

I spent the last 2 nights hanging out with the kiddos at the Rescue Mission. It's safe to say that I utterly enjoy my evening spent hanging out with the kids there. Wednesday night I hung out with some of the older girls as we did an ice breaker to get to know them in anticipation for an activity we're planning to do next month. Tonight I spent my time in the nursery with the younger ones. I colored, played catch, played trucks, had my hair done multiple times (apparently the little ones like my long hair), rocked in the rocking chair, and of course laughed a lot. The highlight of my evening was having a conversation with a little girl who is about 5 years old. We were sitting on small wooden chairs next to the coloring table when she noticed my necklace. She wasn't the first child of the evening to start playing with my necklace, a silver cross with a turquoise stone in the middle--a couple of them had asked about it (one even put it into her mouth...can we say "germs"?). Then we had this conversation:

Little girl: Jesus
Me: Yep, Jesus. What happened to Jesus on the cross?
Little girl: He bleeded down
Me: That's right. For you and me, right?
Little girl: *nodded*
Me: What happened next?
Little girl: He died.
Me: That's right, he did. What happened then?
Little girl: He came back to life.
Me: Yep! He did! Where is he now?
Little girl: *Just kind of looks at me*
Me: Is he in heaven?
Little girl: *smiles* yes!
Me: And someday we'll get to be there with him, right?
Little girl: Yes, some day.
Me: Do you love Jesus?
Little girl: Yes, I love Jesus lots.

The conversation went on a bit longer, but she was mumbling so I couldn't quite make out what she was saying. Nevertheless, it amazes me so how a five year old can have such a grasp on the story of the Gospel. I certainly pray that she never forgets what happened on the cross and what it means for us. And I pray that she continues to grow and understand the love that our Savior has for her.

1 comment:

shelby said...

really quite beautiful. thanks for sharing this hope-filled story, kristi!