Sunday, June 21, 2009

Jaded?

Dear Man at the Gym,

Today we had a conversation at the gym. I was minding my own business, listening to my ipod and lifting weights when you decided to interrupt my workout to give me what I'm sure you assume to be great business advice. Well listen here, sir. When you tell me that it really all comes down to money, I have to disagree with you. In fact, I have to tell you that it's people like you with selfish thoughts like this that have contributed to the downturn of society. People like you feel as though you're entitled to having everything you've ever desired and at any cost. Sir, today you proved to me that sometimes it doesn't matter how much education you have, if you don't have a heart, it doesn't matter. Maybe I'm jaded, but as a matter of fact I happen to think that it isn't about the money. I do believe that it's about finding your passion and your purpose and living fully in this purpose. Sir, I do believe that if I'm following God's will that He will provide for my every need. So, I'm sorry sir if I happen to disagree with you that it isn't about the money and I don't need to have my MBA to be successful. Really, I think all that really matters is loving Christ and loving his people. Maybe this is too simple of a term for you to understand but I promise you that this equation is proven effective. Then again, I'm trying my hardest not to measure my success and effectivness by the world's standards.

So sorry, sir, you haven't burst my bubble. I will continue to pursue God's will--even if it's not about making money. But thanks anyway for the advice.

Sincerely,
Me

PS-I found it pretty funny that you automatically assumed that I was a recent college graduate and you tried to tell me how marketing works. If only you knew how old I am, what I do for a living and that I've been working there for almost 3 years. Good try though.

No comments: