I was thinking about this tonight...well, let's be honest...I've been thinking about this for a long time in a variety of ways. For a long while I've been trying to make sense of the law and grace. I've lived a life of legalism for so long that it's become a constant, daily discovery to understand what it means to live by Grace.
So, tonight in particular I was thinking about this idea we have as Christians to "do our best." From my personal experiences, it seems as though we (those who call themselves Christians) have forgotten that Jesus paid the FULL price for our sin. I think we get it stuck in our head that we have to do our absolute best and run as far as we can and then Jesus will pick up the baton and finish the race -- like he makes up the difference. But I don't think that's true. I think, rather, the Gospel speaks to Him taking it all. By claiming His name, we've won the race. I no longer have to "perform" for the world. Rather, I can live and love in His name. He's done it already for ALL of His children. He. Paid. The. FULL. Price.
It still doesn't make entire since to me...I doubt it ever will. But I suppose I'm just kind of tired of hearing people say "Yes Grace, but...". There's no "but". Grace. God's Grace. The Cross. Christ's DEATH for OUR SIN. We have been given NEW life. The Gospel is very clear about that. Claim Jesus as your Savior and the deal is done. There are no other conditions. Why do we make it so complicated?
1 comment:
I just finished listening to a great podcast on this very topic. Figured I'd pass it along:
http://www.whitehorseinn.org/
listen to the audio podcast titled: "Justification & Imputed Righteousness".
Let me know what you think!
Post a Comment