Thursday, June 12, 2008

God wants me to vote conservative?!?

I was at the bookstore on Sunday. I was looking for a specific book, but decided to browse a bit while I was there. I came across a book with this title "How Would God Vote? Why the Bible Commands You to be a Conservative."

Now, I haven't read this book, but the title seems somewhat alarming to me. I've never read my Bible from front cover to back cover (gasp), but last time I checked, no where in my Bible does it "command" me to be a conservative. Rather, in my Bible, it teaches how to live like Christ--how to love, how to forgive, how to care, etc. I think it's unfortunate that we've had to divide ourselves into political parties and then bicker over which party is more "Christian." It worries me because I honestly don't believe that Christ would label and divide in such a way.

The review on Amazon included this:

Klinghoffer considers the ethical and moral heart of contemporary political debates—questions like immigration, gay marriage, abortion, care for the poor, war and peace, censorship, privacy, the place of religion in schools and the community, and much more.

This bothers me even more. I remember having a conversation with my ex-boyfriend, Dan, about a year and a half ago on this topic. We were talking about politics and world issues and he made a very valid point that's stuck with me (obviously). While, as a Christian, I may have certain beliefs and moral views on what is right concerning topics such as gay marriage, abortion, religion in schools, etc., not everyone in the United States is a Christian. I can't force my moral and religious views on the person next to me (just like I can't force them to be a Christian). It's a choice they have to make for themselves. Rather, I should select political officials according to their policies--I should vote according to what policies are going to help our country in economics, international relations, and the like. Sure, it'd be nice to have a president who also believes in the same moral and religious views that I do, but ultimately I need that president to make choices that allow me to have the freedom to make the moral choices that I believe in.

Just in general, the title of this book bothers me. The funny thing is, I would consider myself a conservative (okay, so really I claim moderate, but I generally lean towards a conservative view point), but I just feel like this book is telling anyone who votes as a liberal is not a Christian. I feel like this book--in just it's title alone--is telling people that Christians must fit an exact mold, and that it's good to put labels things.

Heck, it may be a good book. But I obviously have issues with the title. And likely will not be reading the book (unless out of curiousity!).

No comments: