Thursday, December 4, 2008

Faith like a child

I was home for the past 2 days because my grandpa died. I think funerals are a bittersweet time. My grandpa lived a long, full life and at the end he was full of a lot of pain so in many ways, it was time for him to rest in peace. Part of the time spent at home over the past 2 days was a celebration of his life. He was a son, brother, husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, farmer, air force veteran, friend, and so much more. But obviously it was a time of great sadness too. It was hard for all of us to think of him not being around any more and especially hard for my grandmother who has spent the last 20 years with him. They were best friends and did everything together. It saddens me to think how her life will change and how she will have to work through this in the next days, weeks, and months.

Before the funeral yesterday, my two nieces, Britony (4) and Kerigan (2) arrived at the church with my sister. I picked up Britony and gave her a big hug. I asked her if she wanted to go see Grandpa Ken. We walked up to the casket and she asked if she could touch him. Then she told me that Grandpa Ken was going to be with Jesus. She kept asking why everyone was crying and we continually told her that we were sad we wouldn't see Grandpa Ken anymore. She told my dad at one point that she doesn't like when people cry and she wanted to make them smile. She said she could smile a lot at people and hug them to make them smile. And when any of us would cry she would just come over and give us a hug. We went up to the casket a second time to look at Grandpa Ken and she wispered to my mom and I "I like his lipstick. It's pretty" My mom and I just smiled. It's just funny how simple things are for a child. How much we think they don't understand, but they really do get it. I don't know if Britony completedly understood everything that was going on, but I think she got the final jist...Grandpa Ken had died and was going to be with Jesus.

Earlier in the day she was talking to my sister (her mom) about Grandpa Ken dying. When my sister started to talk to her about Grandpa Ken going to be with Jesus, Britony said "Dying doesn't sound like very much fun. I'm just going to ask Jesus to come to my house instead." You know what. I don't think that's such a bad idea. I think this little girl has more faith than most of us. To want to invite Christ to her house to spend time with him there? Not a bad idea at all. I think a lot of us put off getting to really know Christ and build a relationship with him because we think "There's always tomorrow. I'll read my Bible tomorrow. I'll say my prayers tomorrow. I'll go to church tomorrow. I'l start tithing tomorrow." But then tomorrow turns into the next day which turns into the next day and so on. And then what? Are we going to wait to encounter Christ at our funeral? No, I think Britony has it right. Why don't we invite Christ into our homes. Invite him to lead our lives. Not a bad idea at all...I think I want to share in her four year old faith.

Anyway...back to the funeral. Please continue to be in prayer for my grandma. She was strong through the funeral and showing, but I know she's missing him now and will continue to miss him.

No comments: