Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Mocha Club & Ginny Owens

Being part of change is so easy. My favorite cause that makes it easy to make a difference is The Mocha Club. For just 7 dollars a month (the equivilant of giving up your Starbucks or coffee shop run twice a month), you can aid Africa by supporting projects such as child mothers, education, HIV/AIDS relief, job creation, orphan care, Sudan regrowth and more. The Mocha Club sponsers mission trips on occasion as well so you can have the opportunity to firsthand see where your money is going and the influence it is having on an entire continent.

What I think is really cool about The Mocha Club is that it's supported and promoted by musicians all across the nation. I first heard of The Mocha Club at a Matt Wertz concert. The next time I saw Matt Wertz in concert (with Dave Barnes), I felt really convicted that this was something so simple that I could do that was going to have such a huge impact. No matter what my income is, I can give 7 dollars a month. To a culture of seemingly forgotten people, 7 dollars reminds them that they aren't forgotten. They are loved by God and they will be restored. What an amazing movement and something that I believe God is calling all of us to. No longer can we live in the bubble of our American lives complaining that we don't have this or that when there are people all over the world who have gone without their entire lives. Just 7 dollars. That's all it takes.

Even more exciting for me, I now have the opportunity to give back again. I received an email from The Mocha Club yesterday asking for volunteers to help run their table at concerts for Matt Wertz, Dave Barnes, and Ginny Owens. Ginny's concert just so happens to fall on a Friday night not far from where I live, so I jumped at the opportunity. I want everyone to know about The Mocha Club and how easy it is for them to be the change and an extra bonus, I get to hear Ginny sing! I'm not super familiar with all of Ginny's music, but I've heard a few songs before and she is truly a phenomenal artist. Her story in itself is amazing. Ginny Owens is a blind musician who hasn't let anything stand in the way of her dreams and her mission to fulfill her purpose. My favorite song of hers is "Free." Check it out.

Turnin' molehills into mountains,
Makin' big deals out of small ones,
Bearing gifts as if they're burdens,
This is how it's been.

Fear of coming out of my shell,
Too many things I can't do too well,
afraid I'll try real hard, and I'll fail--
This is how it's been.

Till the day
You pounded on my heart's door,
And You shouted joyfully,
"You're not a slave anymore!"

"You're free to dance-
Forget about your two left feet
And you're free to sing-
even joyful noise is music to Me
You're free to love,
'Cause I've given you My love,
and it's made you free

My mind finds hard to believe
That You became humanity
and changed the course of history,
Because You loved me so.

And my heart cannot understand
Why You'd accept me as I am,
But You say You've always had a plan,
And that's all I need to know.

So when I am consumed by what the world will say,
it's Then You're singing to me, as You remove my chains

No comments: