Sunday, November 22, 2009

Brokeness

This afternoon I had some good, quality conversation with my friend Angela as we took a walk in the Florida sunshine (yep, it's still 80 degrees here...in NOVEMBER!!!). We were discussing a variety of things when our conversation turned to the topic of brokeness. I hear talk of brokeness a lot, but typically it's in the context that we live in a broken world and to me that translates to there is poverty and injustice and no matter what we do to help, those things will all exist until the coming of the new heavens and the new earth. However, as Angela and I talked about it, I realized that it goes a lot deeper than that. Brokeness affects each and every one of us at a very personal level. Whether we admit it or not, every relationship that we have is broken--even the ones that we think are healthy and good. Yes, even those relationships are broken in some way. We are broken, sinful people and it affects the way we love and relate to others. It is only by the blood of Christ that we are able to experience love through others. It's only because Christ lives in us that we are able to love others and be loved. But I think, that at times, it's good to be reminded that we live in a broken world and we are a broken people.

Personally, I know I expect a lot out of relationships (with family, friends, etc) and when I'm disappointed I have a tendency to do a couple of things. First, I want to blame the people who have failed to love me how I feel I should be loved. And I want to do this without understanding the brokeness that they are experiencing in their own lives. Second, I find myself wanting to replace those broken relationships with other relationships that seem to be whole. But the truth of the matter is this--even those "replacement" relationships are broken.

Do any of my thoughts make sense?

I'm definitely not saying that relationships aren't good things. In fact, I believe that God calls us to relational communities. I just think it's good for us to remember that relationships will never be perfect and that we need Christ to bring healing.

If you have thoughts on this, please share. :)

2 comments:

Jenilee said...

Great post... read Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas... amazing book that talks about that very subject. we were created to live in a perfect, sinless world and we expect perfection in our relationships because that is how we were created. But, we live in a sinful world with sinful people so that perfection can only be found in our relationship with God. We have to start there and be satisfied there. He will always beat our expectations, everyone else will always fall short. Whether you are married or not, it is a great book to read! let me know if you read it and let me know what you think. :)

Kristi said...

Hi Jenilee!

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll DEFINITELY have to check it out (well, after I get through the stack on my desk I've been meaning to read). :)