Saturday, March 29, 2008

CNLBank Winter Park 10k

I ran a 10k race in Winter Park this weekend. I've always known Winter Park was a very cool little part of Central Florida, but I love it even more now. The town has so much charm and character. The downtown area is filled with boutiques, antique stores, and cafes. There's an artsy/trendy feel that you can't really find anywhere else in Central Florida. Every weekend they have a farmer's market that seems to be the happening place. In the middle of the downtown area is a huge park/grassy area. They have a stage set up where I assume they do concerts or the like occasionally. Right now, they're hosting the Central Florida Film Festival and at least one of the movies is being shown on an outdoor screen in the park.

On to the run...

It was an absolutely beautiful day for a race. It was somewhere around 65 or 70 degrees when we started out at 7:30. Park was somewhat hectic, so that was probably one of the few downfalls of the race. We left to get there in plenty of time, but because of lack of parking only got to the race start about 5 minutes before it started (in between parking and race start we had to get our chips...for all you non-runners, chips are attached to our shoelaces to record your official time). The race start was especially crowded as well. We started on the sidewalk, actually, because there was no room in the street for us to stand. Luckily, with the race chip, your time doesn't officially start until you cross the start line, so I wasn't concerned with being on the sidewalk. I love the starts of road races. I feel so good at the start when I'm weaving in an out of people. It makes me feel fast and unstoppable. The course was absolutely beautiful as well. Winter Park is a very upscale area, so the homes we ran by were truly stunning. There were several mansions as well that cost well into the millions, for certain. One downfall when it comes to running is that the streets are coblestone/brick so that's a little bit rough on the legs/joints when running. Overall, I didn't mind it too much. There were a few rolling hills which was a nice change for once (if you're not from Florida or familiar with Florida, it's helpful to know that Florida is flat. Extremely flat. We consider on ramps to be about the biggest hills we're going to come in contact with). Winter Park is also apparently known for it's trees. Seriously though, they are really pretty...they line the streets and just bring a warmth to the town.

By race finish, the weather was still very pleasant and I was feeling really good. Granted, I've been having a lot of pain in my hip and knee lately (opposite legs too, unfortunately!), so that made the last 2 miles a little rough, but I was not about to drop out of the race. I've never dropped out of a race, and I wasn't about to start today. I love the finish of a race too. It's such an amazing feeling of accomplishment. Certainly one that I'll never grow tire of. It's so cool to see all the family and friend of people running lining the finish area. And that moment when I cross the finish line and get to take my first step of just walking is such a joy. The feelig of exhausation is so different from any other feelig of exhausation. It's knowing that I've accomplished something. That I've finished something. That I didn't give up. And when I get a new best time, it's so rewarding to think I've reached another goal. And yes, today I did another Personal Record!! With knee and hip injuries and all.

After the race, our whole group went to breakfast at one of my favorite restaurants--Mimi's Cafe. Seriously, if you haven't eaten there, you are totally missing out. I'm no food critic so I'm unable to fully describe the amazingness that is Mimi's. All I can say is that I've never ordered anything there that I didn't like. And their muffins are to-die-for. Seriously.

So that's my review of the CNLBank Winter Park 10k. I highly recommend it. I also believe that it was a fairly inexpensive race. On the medal that they gave us at the finish (also another reason I like the finish line!!), it had this really great saying on the back that fully summarizes why I race and run. Not to win--but for me:

"Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months, and years they spend preparing for it."

Happy Running :)

No comments: