Monday, May 12, 2008

Race Review--iDrive 5k

So this race review is a bit past due. But here it is. Saturday was the iDrive 5k and it was...on i Drive. Get it? haha. Okay then.

The race start time was at 7:30, but with summer quickly approaching here in Florida, it was very warm by 7:30 already. It didn't seem too crowded and the course was extremely flat. Unfortunately there was absolutely no shade, so the heat on the asphalt just intensified during the course.

I'm not used to running such short races anymore (ha! Never thought I'd hear myself call a 3.1 mile race short!). I'd much rather run a 10k or 15k race. It gives me time to settle into my pace and make up for slow miles. With only 3 miles, if I have a slow first mile then it's pretty much all down hill from there. Surprisingly, I didn't do too bad. My first mile was a 7:30. My second mile was about a 7:45. My third mile was a little down hill. I think it was somewhere around 9:15 or so. YIKES! But I was fairly satisified with my final time of 24:33. Definitely not my best time, but since I've been training for longer races, I was satisfied with this time.

I left right after I finished because I had to let some friends in to the parks. I found out the next day that I got 3rd in my age group so I won some prizes! But I didn't stay around to get them b/c I never place and didn't expect to here. Guess that teaches me. I was also 23 out of 313 women, 120 out of 652 total finishers, and ran a pace of 7:54. Not too bad.

I'd recommend the race. It was pretty inexpensive and pretty well organized. It's probably my last race for the season unless I throw in one more 5k in June. I might get to squeeze a relay triathlon in there somewhere. Otherwise, it'll just be training all summer long for race season to start up again in August/September.

Happy Running :)

1 comment:

Kyle Luke said...

Just FYI . . . I'm boycotting your running posts from this point on. They make me feel fat and lazy.